Friday, August 31, 2012

Blue Moon

The night is finally here!!  I have been looking forward to viewing the Full Moon since the beginning of this blog.  I was so fearful that I would not be able to see it because of the weather, but my fears have been relieved.  Here was what I saw tonight. 

                             


These pictures were taken on Friday, August 31, 2012 from the deck in the back of my home in Moody at 9:20pm.  The first picture shows the Full Moon peeking out from behind a cloud, while the second picture shows the Full Moon in its entirety surrounded by clouds.  Tonight is considered a Blue Moon because it is the second Full Moon of the month.  This does not occur very often.  There is nothing blue about the Moon, but its complete illumination does emit a great deal of light in the night sky.  It is a very cloudy night, but thankfully, the clouds are moving allowing for periods to actually view the Moon.

Neil Armstrong was laid to rest today in a private ceremony.  How appropriate that his service would coincide with the night that the Moon is most visible to the people on Earth.  I am remembering him tonight and his heroic "giant leap for mankind" that impacted not just America but all the world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment